I love raspberries so much I will put up the seeds getting stuck in my teeth. This week I decided to take a closer look at this little power gem of vibrant color and see why we should be eating them. I wasn’t disappointed; they are a great source of Vitamin C, K, E, fibre, magnesium and potassium. They have the right antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients for anti- cancer treatments and improve management of obesity.
I have been using raspberries for years as a simple dessert garnish and as the base for other sweet creations. After researching them this week I decided to create a simple yet effect away to absorb all their health giving nourishment and allow them to take centre stage. Breakfast perfection in a smoothie bowl YUMMY!. I think the picture says it all.
My notes for this recipe…are in picture form enjoy! The topping for this creation is toasted pumpkin seeds, some berries, toasted coconut flakes. I made the smoothie with 1/2 an avocado, frozen organic raspberries, unsweetened almond milk, rice syrup, sunflower seed butter and some ice all blended up.
Raspberry Smoothie Bowl with Nutbutter
- ½ ripe avocado OR 1 banana
- 1 ½ cups raspberries (1/4 cup is for garnish)
- ½ cup milk of your choice – I used almond
- ½ cup ice
- 2 Tbsp. Nut butter of your choice I used Sunflower seed butter
- 1 Tbsp. Rice bran syrup OR honey, plus additional for drizzling
- ¼ cup toasted seeds, I used like pumpkin seeds OR granola
- 2 Tbsp. shredded coconut (toasted is an option here)
Make it like so....
- Blend the avocado, 1 and ¼ cup of the raspberries, your choice of milk, ice, and nut butter of choice and 1 tablespoon of the Rice bran syrup (or Honey) until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and top with the sliced strawberries, toasted seeds, coconut, and remaining ¼ cup raspberries.
One cup of Raspberries has
- 64 calories
- 8 grams of dietary fibre
- 1.48 grams of protein
- 14.69 grams of carbohydrates
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K and E
- Omega 3 fatty acids
Toasting Pumpkin seeds for Raspberry smoothie bowl
getting ready to make a Raspberry Smoothie bowl
Raspberries and Ice
Sunflower Butter – great alternative to Nut butters
Breakfast is served