Hello, I have a project for you to start on Sunday and enjoy for a week!
I am referring to salads in a jar and creating a grab and go meal.
Creating great salads for an easy grab and go lunch couldn’t be easier. What you need are some great jars, ideally with a wide mouth like Ball or Mason jar, fresh vegetables, protein options and salad leaves. Each jar will have 3-4 layers – starting with dressing and finishing with softer salad leaves.
- Base or layer one vegetables should be harder, raw items like green beans, snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, radishes, and capsicum.
- Once you’ve decided on your base ingredients, you can add different ingredients to one or two salads to make them a bit more interesting. Some great ideas are tinned bean, tuna, left over roast chicken, leftover cooked grains (rice or quinoa).
- The real fun is putting whole jar together. The key to the jar salad is to layer. Start by placing the salad dressing on the bottom – about 1-2 tbsp. of dressing at the bottom of each jar. Next, add some hard vegetables that won’t soak up the dressing. I like green beans, and cauliflower or sugar snap peas. The next layer is protein like white bean or chicken. I’ve also found it helpful to place your onions at the bottom because the salad dressing helps take some of the strong onion taste away. Your final layer should be your salad greens. If you want you could add cheese to the very top.
- Close the lid of each jar, place in the fridge and now you have easy grab and go salads for the week. Who said there wasn’t time for a healthy lunch.
- When you are ready to eat, simply tip the contents of the jar into a bowl or plate…ENJOY!