Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Pesto
- 1 cups raw pumpkin seeds (without shell)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (without shell)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin avocado oil (for roasting)***
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for blending)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Make it like so....
- Preheat oven to 200 C (350 F). Toss seeds with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and salt then spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast until seeds are puffed and fragrant, 10 to 15 minutes, then set aside to let cool. BE CAREFUL CHECK ON THEM OFTEN.
- Combine seeds in a food processor with ¼ to ½ cup water, lemon juice, garlic, coriander (cilantro) and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Pulse until mixture forms a coarse paste then season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- *** For roasting at high heat, olive oil is not the best choice. Instead I like to use raw organic avocado oil. If you don’t have this or can’t find it please use coconut oil.
- Healthful facts about pumpkin and sunflower seeds; they are a great source of:
- Additionally, sunflower seeds are a good source of vitamin B6
Patricia of Warmly Nourished