Jump to recipe
Wonderful Spring Vegetable, easy to prepare and wonderful to eat.
Asparagus and Pea Risotto
Spring is in the air and the markets are full of wonderful Asparagus! Asparagus is versatile and goes well with peas and arborio rice - which is why I created this dish, Asparagus and Pea Risotto.
You can also enjoy it in a number of other ways... wonderful grilled and added to salads, blanched and served with poached eggs or just on its own with a pinch of salt and little extra virgin olive oil.
Health Benefits of Asparagus
1. It contains glutathione, a potent antioxidant, well known for it’s
detoxifying properties; liver and kidney
2. It is rated as an excellent source of fiber, folate, Vit E, B1, B2,K
copper and selenium.
3. Is a natural diuretic – a beneficial food for those with high blood
pressure and other heart-related conditions.
4. It contains inulin – a prebiotic which helps support the beneficial
bacteria in our gut.
- • 6 cups vegetable stock, homemade if possible + the woody ends of the asparagus
- • 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 tablespoon organic butter (half the olive oil and half the butter will be
- used to cook the rice and the other half will be used to finish the dish).
- • 1 small onion or French eshallots (look like small brown onions), finely chopped
- • 1 cup Arborio rice
- • 1/2 cup dry white wine
- • 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, stalks cut into 2 cm lengths (1 inch) and add the woody ends
- to the stock.
- • 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus more for garnish
- • 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- • Bring stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- • In another saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil + the 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion, stirring frequently, until soft, 6 to 7 minutes. Add rice, cook, stirring, until
- edges are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring, just until evaporated.
- • Add 1/2 cup hot stock; cook, stirring, until almost absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup stock
- and stirring until liquid is creamy and rice is al dente, about 20 minutes total (you may not
- need to add all the stock). Add asparagus and peas with the last addition of stock. Allow to
- cook for 2 minutes - risotto is done.
- • Remove from heat; stir in lemon zest and juice, parsley, cheese, and remaining 2
- tablespoons oil+ 1 tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with
- additional cheese and lemon zest.
© 2023 Patricia of Warmly Nourished