Learn my top 5 tips to make 2020 all about YOU!
I am writing you from the beach. We are pet sitting for a lovely border collie named Ollie and stunning cat names Milo. We have been here since Christmas Eve and loving the beach life. So nice to ease into the new year with beach walks, lots of pet cuddles and clean food. This is how I want my 2020 to be!
To help you make 2020 a year about you, I am sharing my top 5 tips to help make 2020 be all about you!
- Learn how to breath properly. I am not kidding here. Your breath is life. When you feel stressed or feeling overwhelmed, it is your breath that can ease these feelings. Book suggestion – “Breathe” by Jean Hall. The practice of deep breathing is calming allows more oxygen flow to your cells.
- Learn to say NO. Yes, simplicity start with no. Is your To DO list full with things for others OR things that do not serve you or your family? So, before you say yes, stop and think about what is being asked of you before you respond with YES. Here is a response you can use (suggested by Dr Many Deeks) “‘I really appreciate you thinking of me. Thank you’. Then tell them ‘I have a few commitments at the moment and so I can’t help’.’
- Learn more about living a simple life. I just finished reading a wonderful book about living a simple life, the book “Slow” by Brooke McAlary. I discovered a few new habits I would like to add into my life – which means I can crowd out the habits that are not serving me. Mostly around being present and not involved distractions that are meaningless.
- Learn and do daily movement. A daily practice of movement will help you keep the machine that is your body well oiled and in good working order for many years to come. When looked after (movement and proper fuel) your body will repay you in so many ways – help you age gracefully without complications. I found the book “Move Your DNA” by Katy Bowman and great how to book with great motivation!
- Learn more about YOU. This is where I come in, Patricia your Food Nurturist from Warmly Nourished. I have been working on my body for some time, but in 2019 I gave it a lot more scientific focus. You see I was given a magic key, in the form of ph 360. It’s a personalised health platform that measure your gene expression. I found it worked so well I decided to become a certified coach and am now offering it to all past and future clients. WHY! Well ph360 is YOUR personalized health code (PHC) – opening up what you should actually be eating to nourish YOUR unique body, determine best time and type of exercise YOUR body will thrive on and a great deal more about the unique qualities that make up YOU.
I am running a special offer for the entire month of January because its my Birthday month. You can have your Personal Health Code for all of 2020! Regardless of where you live in the world, we can still work together. Why not reach out and get in touch so we can unlock and explore YOUR PHC. Please use code PHC on your contact form.
Let 2020 be your year. A New Way- To A New Life – To A New You
And does AGE really matter?
I have been thinking a lot about age this year as I am about to move into a new decade with the start of 2020. Which got me thinking, does it matter how old I am – and I have concluded – NO it does not.
Sometime before my last decade birthday I stopped wearing makeup. This started as I moved from a desk job to a kitchen job. I loved the freedom of not putting stuff on my face… little by little I let go of vanity things. Around the same time, I made a decision NOT to colour my hair – so I never did and when it started going WHITE, I choose to let nature takes its course! And you know I think it looks rather cool!
Dear younger self – don’t be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy the road to YOU! Ah but my younger self didn’t hear this she was too busy keeping up – and growing up!
Her road was travelled and yet not examined. NOW THE ROAD I TAKE IS EXAMINED AND I AM ENJOYING THE JOURNEY!
Over this past year I have explored more about what will help my body thrive as I age. Sort of keeping the biological clock in check. What I have discovered has been a real eye opener. Here is what I mean:
- I no longer get up at the crack of dawn to pound the pavement; instead I wake up and gently stretch, do a bit of mouth and teeth cleaning before moving into the kitchen for my warm water/lemon/grated fresh ginger and raw honey tea. What a delight this has been and I started doing this in December 2018. (From my PH360 profile chronological information)
- I still walk, in fact I do between 10,000 and 15, 000 per day. I just leave it for later and enjoy my Zen morning time. It makes me happy and my body is loving the gentle change.
- Learning functional movement (“Move Your DNA” By Katy Bowmen). Helping to keep the body machine well oiled!
- Proper breathing has also been a welcome surprize. What can I say – better digestion, mood, sleep and the list goes on (“Breathe” by Jean Hall as well as meditations in group and on my own)
- The other big change was eating my largest meal of the day between 1:30 and 3:00 pm. And when I balance this meal well, I find it can be my last meal of the day. (From my PH360 profile chronological information)
- I have also noticed with these small changes; I am seeing rather nice changes. My moods seem to be calmer; I am losing some weight that my body really doesn’t need, and my joints (I have suffered with osteoarthritis) are feeling so wonderful.
The above are the newer changes, however, back in 2014 I went of coffee –HUGE – after reading Dr. Libby’s book “Rushing Woman’s Syndrome”. In 2015 I give up alcohol and once more it really helped with my joints. I now enjoy a little alcohol for special events. However, I suspect the biggest and best change was the overhaul of my diet. I started putting focus on vegetables and foods without labels. I went back to whole food. And I have a fun little bliss ball to give you some JOY this holiday as well as holiday cookie.
And this year as I look in the mirror, I feel blessed! The journey towards me has not been a one-year project, rather a multi-year and multi-step one. What I do know is my life is in its SECOND SPRING (learnings from reading “Goddesses Never Age” by Christiane Northrup, M.D.) And AGE will not define me nor will it define WHAT I CAN OR CANNOT DO. I plan on being on this planet for some time, and while I am here, I will live my life fully, without constraints.
I will keep reading, walking, bike riding, and creating and making great food!
How does this all sound to you? Can I help in any way?
My coaching focuses on rediscovering your vibrant self and helping you make the life changes which will best suit you! I do have a magic key to help unlock a few doors for you and shorten the process and answer the question – WHAT SHOULD I EAT! I can help you with that and a few more areas of your life.
I my have pulled out too many for this summer…but hey they are all good and deserve their time in the sun. For some I will devour cover to cover and for others I’ll skim for what I need to learn and share! And if you look closely you’ll notice 4 are cook books – so that is more about testing recipes to create some diversity in the kitchen.
All so good for different reasons!
How about you? Do you have a summer reading list every year and do you make it through the books?
Wish me luck,
What if you could slow down your aging process, while increasing your energy?
Do you sometimes find yourself on the energy roller coaster? Do you wake up, and need coffee to start your day? Maybe your breakfast is a slice of toast with jam, bowl of boxed cereal, or a glass of bottled juice. Or maybe you skip breakfast and wait for morning tea or lunch. Okay, so what does this have to do with energy? Good question – here we go!
Eating for energy is about one simple strategy: balancing your blood sugar. When we eat a constant stream of sugary foods or go for long stretches without eating, we send our blood sugar levels out of balance and this has a knock-on effect for our hormones. This manifests as quick bursts of energy followed by exhausting crashes, along with short-term and long-term problems like insomnia, weight gain, mood swings and inflammation.
And guess what effect those long-term problems have on us? We start to age faster from the INSIDE OUT.
So how do blood sugar levels get out of balance? Here is a quick breakdown of how sugary foods and refined carbohydrates affect us:
- A sugary food is eaten (white bread, pastries, sugary beverage like soda, and fruit juice etc.)
- Food is quickly digested and absorbed, with a surge of sugar rushing into the bloodstream
- The pancreas secretes insulin to help shuttle that sugar out of the blood and into our cells
- Our blood sugar levels drop quickly
- The adrenal glands react, producing the stress hormones cortisol and epinephrine (adrenaline) to help pick blood sugar levels back up
- These stress hormones peak and then crash
Too much sugar and carbohydrates can put us into a vicious cycle of peaks and crashes that is difficult to escape.
The short-term health impacts of blood sugar imbalance include several common signs, and maybe you have experienced one or more.
||Poor focus and concentration
|Increased blood pressure
||Cravings for sweets
Over time, if sugar imbalances aren’t addressed, it will start to take bigger toll on our long-term health – which can worsen as we start to age faster from the inside out:
||Impaired thyroid function
|Insulin resistance and diabetes
||Lowered immunity & increased risk of infections
||Cognitive issues – inability to think, learn or remember
||High blood pressure
||Pain and inflammation
So, which foods are best to avoid or are the worst offenders? Here are the top offenders and might be a good idea to remove them from the fridge and pantry.
The secret to blood sugar stabilization, which leads to increased energy as well as better health and aging comes from 5 key concepts.
PROTEIN. This macro nutrient is essential for healing and repair, and also helps us feel full and satiated. Best sources: eggs, meat, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes.
FAT. An energy-dense macro nutrient that also helps us feel full and satiated. Best sources: nuts, seeds, healthy oils (coconut, olive, avocado, flax, chia, etc.), fish, ghee, avocado.
FIBER. High fibre foods take longer to break down, releasing a slow stream of energy rather than a flush of it. This keeps our blood sugar levels steady and even. Best sources: beans, legumes, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruit, gluten-free whole grains.
EATING REGULARLY. Consuming regular, nutritious meals helps our blood sugar levels to stabilise and prevents them from dropping too low.
LOW GI FOODS. Choosing foods that are low on the glycemic index (more info below) also helps stabilise blood sugar levels.
When you combine the above into each meal, you’ll set yourself on a course of steady, sustained energy that will keep you feeling great all day long. Here is a recipe for a great breakfast smoothie.
What else can we add into our diets that will help with blood sugar balance, increase energy, and slow down the aging process? Contact me to discuss some of my favorites. I would love to hear from you.
To be honest, I really like to chew my food, so having a smoothie can sometimes put me off. That’s not the case with this lovely smoothie. I call it my Healthier Green Smoothie.
Make every meal special, why not serve your fresh and healthy breakfast smoothie in a wine glass!
Well balanced using fresh spinach, fresh apple -with peel, good fats with flax seeds, hemp seeds, tahini and a medjool date for hit of sweetness wrapped up with fibre and iron. But what I really love is the addition of essential oils. For this recipe I choose lemon, lime and ginger. The lemon and Lime help with your metabolism in the morning and the freshness wakes me up. I used Ginger for the warming touch it gives and for digestion.
What a perfect breakfast smoothie!
Healthier Green Smoothie With Essential Oils
Bright, well balanced Smoothie that will suit the whole family.
1 red or green apple, core removed
1 to 2 cups Spinach OR Kale
2 cup water
1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
1 tbsp Flax Seeds
1 tbsp Tahini
1 soft medjool date, stone removed
pinch of sea salt
3 drops lemon doTERRA Essential Oil
3 drops lime doTERRA Essential Oil
2 drops ginger doTERRA Essential Oil
Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender and process.
Pour finished smoothie into glass of choice - I used a wine glass for fun.
Makes enough for 2 serves.
1. You can use red or green apple. Or other fruit such as Pear or even kiwi fruit.
2. The Essential Oils are an optional extra. You don't need to have them on hand or use them.
Patricia of Warmly Nourished
So balances…so fresh…loving the essential oil addition!